Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The beginning





The beginning

Sterling silver wire, etched copper; Liver of Sulfur,

transparent green paper

The first level is the moment when I just started beginning the journey up the mountain. When I first looked at the mountain before hiking, I was nervous, uncertain and excited.

Looking at this moment on the mountain, I thought of when I first came to Canada from Korea six years ago. Everything was new to me. When I went to high school, I was scared by the fact that I would have a serious language barrier. I was uncertain how I would learn English. I kept wondering whether I could conquer these obstacles.

I now realize that these feelings represent the first level of my journey.

To represent these feelings in my work, I researched the mountains in Emily Carr’s paintings, and using photographs that I took in Korea, I attempted to simplify these forms. The perspective in this piece shows distance, and this sense of distance reflects my life’s journey at the beginning.

No comments: