Thursday, July 16, 2009

The hike














The hike

Sterling silver wire

The second level is the journey up the mountain. For this piece, I created the form of lotus flower leaves and a bud to show the pattern of my growth.

In Buddhism, the lotus flower reflects all of the stages of the journey, including enlightenment. “The roots grow in mud, and then shoots grow up, supporting a scented flower above the water level. The growing pattern of the lotus flower seems simple, but in Buddhism, this pattern of growth has significant meaning” (“Momo”). It signifies the progress of the soul from the mud of materialism, through the waters of experience, into the sunshine of enlightenment.

I believe that the soul in the mud refers to myself, striving to achieve my intentions, and the waters of experience are my determination to accomplish my goal.


No comments: